Your travel and tourism news reporter from New York
Provided by AGP
By AI, Created 5:06 PM UTC, May 18, 2026, /AGP/ – Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers secured a $10.5 million settlement in a New Jersey personal injury case tied to debris on the George Washington Bridge. The deal was reached before trial and resolves claims against the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey over alleged serious injuries and future care costs.
Why it matters: - The $10.5 million settlement provides compensation for alleged severe injuries and expected future medical care tied to a roadway hazard on one of the region’s busiest bridges. - The resolution closes a high-stakes injury case without a jury verdict, after liability over bridge maintenance and notice of the debris remained disputed.
What happened: - Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers announced the settlement in a personal injury case identified as Docket No. ESX-L-5788-20 in Superior Court of New Jersey. - The lawsuit was brought against the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. - The settlement was finalized shortly before trial was set to begin. - The plaintiff was driving on the upper level of the George Washington Bridge when debris allegedly struck the vehicle’s windshield. - The complaint alleged that the impact caused severe and life-altering injuries.
The details: - The lawsuit claimed the Port Authority was responsible for maintenance, inspection and safety of the bridge roadway. - Defense attorneys disputed liability during the case. - A central dispute involved how long the debris had been on the roadway and whether the Port Authority had notice of the hazard before the incident. - Attorneys Edward P. Capozzi and Corey A. Dietz represented the plaintiff. - Associate Victoria A. Verlezza and paralegal Marisol Tejada assisted during trial preparation. - The case resolved after discovery and extensive pre-trial proceedings. - The recovery is designated to cover compensatory damages and anticipated future care costs described in the plaintiff’s medical and legal filings.
Between the lines: - The settlement suggests both sides saw enough risk in trial to end the case before a jury was empaneled. - Corey Dietz said the timing and presence of the debris were central points of dispute, and that the resolution provides resources for the plaintiff to manage the effects of the injuries. - The outcome also reinforces how roadway-safety claims can turn on notice, inspection practices and documentation of hazards.
What’s next: - The case is resolved, and no trial is expected. - Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers said it continues to represent people injured in motor vehicle and transportation-related accidents in New Jersey. - The firm says it focuses on complex personal injury matters involving catastrophic injuries.
The bottom line: - The settlement delivers a large pretrial recovery in a bridge-debris case and avoids the uncertainty of a courtroom fight over liability and damages.
Disclaimer: This article was produced by AGP Wire with the assistance of artificial intelligence based on original source content and has been refined to improve clarity, structure, and readability. This content is provided on an “as is” basis. While care has been taken in its preparation, it may contain inaccuracies or omissions, and readers should consult the original source and independently verify key information where appropriate. This content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial, investment, or other professional advice.
Sign up for:
The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.
We sent a one-time activation link to: .
Confirm it's you by clicking the email link.
If the email is not in your inbox, check spam or try again.
is already signed up. Check your inbox for updates.